Skip to main content

After a year, I'm still waiting....and waiting

Here I am back again at my blog talking about thyroid cancer again. I had my yearly appointment last week with Dr. Wartofsky. It was an interesting one. He had two students in the exam room with us. I didn't mind. He's one of the best thyroid cancer doctors in the world (I'm not kidding) so please, spread your knowledge to any who will listen.

He could have easily said, gesturing to me, "This is exhibit A, a papillary carcinoma patient who has had multiple recurrences." I actually think he did that before I came in the room.

I started the appointment with honesty: "Hey, I am really nervous because I have not gone a year between appointments since my recurrence." He understood. The students nodded.

I showed the students my scars along with their accompanying stories. I have two scars: one large one about five inches long centered on my neck, lower half, and the other about three inches long on the upper right side of my neck. The longer one was used twice (it's special) for my first two surgeries. For the third surgery, he needed to make another incision as the cancerous lymph nodes were higher that the surgeon could reach with the original scar. 

I had three physical neck exams -- first by Dr. W and two more by the students. Nothing significant was found, just a discussion among the three of palpating some scar tissue beneath my, guess what, larger, most used scar.

Here's the drill, which I knew was coming: get blood drawn for a thyroglobulin test. These test results dictate everything. If it is 0.5 or lower, all is good -- see you in a year! If it is higher, most likely no bueno. Next step is a ultrasound of my neck to see what's going on. Of note, with both recurrences, the first indication of anything wrong was an elevated thyroglobulin. 

We wrapped up the appointment with me asking Dr. W, "Are you still in semi-retirement? Because I hope you aren't going to fully retire anytime soon." It took me several years and two other endocrinologists to find him.

I loved his response: "My wife said she married me for better or worse but not lunch everyday." He's still in business for now it seems.

I had the blood drawn right then. He said he would call me in a week with results. It's been six days. Hopefully, he calls tomorrow. I jumped at the phone yesterday and today thinking maybe the results were in early. He did not call.

I have ran through the "what ifs" when said call is received, which include "Great, see you in a year!" or "OK, I know -- ultrasound, needle biopsy, and possibly surgery. Dang, I don't want to do this again."

I'm still waiting on results from Dr. W....and waiting.


  1. Wanted to check in and see how you are doing! Don't you hate the waiting? My doc never did call after my 6 month checkup so I assume no news is good news. Still in denial, at times, too. :) Hoping all is well with you, friend!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Doctor...and 10 Things I Hate About Thyroid Cancer

OK, look at the last time I added a blog post....yes, January. Ridiculous. It's been too long since I've written, and I apologize for that. Time marches on, for the good or bad, and it has slipped away from me.

One item on my thyroid cancer timeline I see not documented in my blog: I did get more bloodwork done in April. It was good news: no change in the thyroglobulin. Just gotta keep on top of it and make sure that it doesn't get above 2.0.

I'm going to see Dr. W on Friday to check in, let him tell me it's time to get it and the TSH checked again. And...OK, here's the thing: I feel something/am having strange twinges on the left side of my neck. Everything has been on the right side to date so maybe......what is it? I will listen to my gut and let Dr. W tell me it's nothing rather than assuming that. Because even though I can say "oh, it's nothing," the thinking about it and worrying will drive me crazy.

Also, I discovered yesterday an amaz…

Changing the Focus

I will turn 50 this month. In honor of this milestone -- and just because I want to -- I am changing the focus of my blog.

10 years ago at the age of 40, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer -- papillary carcinoma. I started this blog after my first surgery as a means to communicate. I had lost my voice for about three weeks, and speaking was a challenge. Many well-meaning folks called in the days after my surgery to check on me. While it was fine that Chris and my mom provided updates, I missed being in contact with people. So I started writing.
Along the way, I learned that I liked to write and also found other cancer patients and survivors along the way. I needed an outlet, and, unexpectedly, my blog provided some perspective for those newly diagnosed as well as those of us who must endure the various follow-up visits and the anxiety that accompanies them.
My last cancer blog post was three years ago. Believe me, the anxiety is still there, but after two recurrences, I've had no…

No News is Good News

It's been over a year since I have posted here, and truly, no news is good news. I have had two rounds of blood tests with normal results. Plain old boring. I'm a fan of boring when it comes to thyroid cancer.

September is the next time I am to check in with Dr. W. What this means? An appointment for him to do a physical examination of my neck, and he will provide an order for blood tests. Dr. W has decided to "semi-retire," which apparently means he only sees patients two days a week now. I'm glad the "semi-" is attached to his retired status as I just found him two years ago, and he is the only endocrinologist with which I am comfortable. Of note, he only sees patients with thyroid cancer whereas "regular" endos see all sorts of patients, mainly those with thyroid diagnoses such as Hashimoto's or diabetes. For me, this has made a huge difference.

So that's the incredibly boring update. After thyroid cancer three times in four years.…