Skip to main content

It's been such a long time...

Sounds like a Boston song we know and love from the 80s (or 70s?), doesn't it? It has been such a long time since I have posted anything on my blog. Here's the short version of what's been going on lately around here:

  • I traveled to Denver last week for business and was gone Tuesday through Friday. Business travel is tiring anyway, but with my current state of always feeling either bleh or not right, it really wasn't so great.

  • Kenzie has injured her elbow doing a back handspring. Saw the doctor on Monday, said to rest it for six weeks. Dancing is over for her now.

  • Chris is almost finished with the building and painting in our room. He painted it chocolate brown (it looks delicious!) with white trim and built an amazing cabinet for (mostly) me. He gets a shelf of it. :)
  • Morgan continues to love soccer with her team the Storm. Most recently she scored three goals and had a great assist in a 6-2 win. She is disappointed that her last soccer game is this Sunday. The good news: basketball season is just around the corner, and Chris is coaching her again so she looks forward to that too.

  • Me? Other than trying to keep up with this bunch, I continue to feel crappy (from thyroid or being just three months out from cancer...who knows?), think that every pain is a new form of cancer, complain about my endocrinologist and choose to do nothing about any of this.

  • Holly and Charlotte (Kevin was out of the country) had us over on Saturday for dinner. Her parents, my aunt and uncle, were in town, and it was great to see them. It was the first time I had seen them since adding my lovely five-inch scar on my neck late this summer (thyroid cancer surgical scar for those of you not following along). I told them to go back to Mema and tell her that they saw me with their own eyes and I am fine. At least that is the version to tell your 88 year old grandma, that you are fine three months post cancer surgery. But aren't I fine? I am right? But what about that pain in my leg...I digress. I'm fine...sort of.
  • OSU Cowboys lost to Texas but looked great in the process. Is a BCS bowl in the works for the Cowboys? Stay tuned...

OK, gotta run as I am accompanying Miss Poppy Virginia (Kenzie) to Hampton, VA, for an American Legion conference. She is also vice president of the junior American Legion auxiliary of Virginia and has meeting to go to for both of these responsibilies. Me? I just hope to get a little rest this weekend. Chris is holding down the fort this weekend and has trick-or-treat duties this evening.

Oh yeah...Happy Halloween!


Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Doctor...and 10 Things I Hate About Thyroid Cancer

OK, look at the last time I added a blog post....yes, January. Ridiculous. It's been too long since I've written, and I apologize for that. Time marches on, for the good or bad, and it has slipped away from me.

One item on my thyroid cancer timeline I see not documented in my blog: I did get more bloodwork done in April. It was good news: no change in the thyroglobulin. Just gotta keep on top of it and make sure that it doesn't get above 2.0.

I'm going to see Dr. W on Friday to check in, let him tell me it's time to get it and the TSH checked again. And...OK, here's the thing: I feel something/am having strange twinges on the left side of my neck. Everything has been on the right side to date so maybe......what is it? I will listen to my gut and let Dr. W tell me it's nothing rather than assuming that. Because even though I can say "oh, it's nothing," the thinking about it and worrying will drive me crazy.

Also, I discovered yesterday an amaz…

Letter to Dr. W

The latest and greatest (?) on the beast that is thyroid cancer, best expressed via the letter I sent to my new endocrinologist/thyroid cancer specialist:

Changing the Focus

I will turn 50 this month. In honor of this milestone -- and just because I want to -- I am changing the focus of my blog.

10 years ago at the age of 40, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer -- papillary carcinoma. I started this blog after my first surgery as a means to communicate. I had lost my voice for about three weeks, and speaking was a challenge. Many well-meaning folks called in the days after my surgery to check on me. While it was fine that Chris and my mom provided updates, I missed being in contact with people. So I started writing.
Along the way, I learned that I liked to write and also found other cancer patients and survivors along the way. I needed an outlet, and, unexpectedly, my blog provided some perspective for those newly diagnosed as well as those of us who must endure the various follow-up visits and the anxiety that accompanies them.
My last cancer blog post was three years ago. Believe me, the anxiety is still there, but after two recurrences, I've had no…