Skip to main content

First day of school...and other stuff

Today was the first day of school around here. Kenzie miraculously made it back last night from a trip to South Texas see her dad. She tells me she was the last one they let on the plane and were paging her in the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport. I can hear it now: "American Airlines paging...Please come to gate C22. Your plane is about to depart." Good old American giving her 40 minutes to get from the 30th row of one plane to another one two terminals away.

Anyway, back to school. Kenzie is off to her sophomore year with chemistry, Algebra II, cheerleading, and SGA awaiting (oh yes, driver's ed too). However, first priority I'm sure in the next week will be a dress for the Homecoming dance. A girl has her priorities...

Morgan started 6th grade today, her last of elementary school. They were both excited to go...well, sort of. Morgan was excited until yesterday when she might as well put the back of her hand to her forehead (in "old school" movie fashion) to say, "This is the last day of summer! I don't want to go back to school!"

I am glad that I had a day off before return to work after my medical leave. It was a real shocker to my system getting everyone out the door today. I'm exhausted, feeling the fatigue more today than I have any day previously.

Less than a week until they test my blood levels to see if all is well to move forward with the radioactive treatment. I'm ready to get on with it, ready to move on. I'm a bit worried that post-treatment I have unrealistic expectations. I'm hoping that I will beput on the right dose of thyroid medication and **poof** I'm on my way. With my Pollyanna hat firmly on.

I know one thing...the scan I'm having to see if the thyroid cancer is in my bones and lungs, I am just planning on them finding it. I'm sick of the whole "that's probably not going to happen to you" routine because it has all summer, i.e., thyroid cancer, the lymph nodes, and then how long I stayed in the hospital. I think I'll plan on it and then be pleasantly surprised if it is not. Most of you know I'm very optimistic in general, but this is how I've got to handle this scan for my own sanity.

OK, onto lunch now. What exciting non-milk, non-commerical bread, non-salt food item will I have today?


Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Doctor...and 10 Things I Hate About Thyroid Cancer

OK, look at the last time I added a blog post....yes, January. Ridiculous. It's been too long since I've written, and I apologize for that. Time marches on, for the good or bad, and it has slipped away from me.

One item on my thyroid cancer timeline I see not documented in my blog: I did get more bloodwork done in April. It was good news: no change in the thyroglobulin. Just gotta keep on top of it and make sure that it doesn't get above 2.0.

I'm going to see Dr. W on Friday to check in, let him tell me it's time to get it and the TSH checked again. And...OK, here's the thing: I feel something/am having strange twinges on the left side of my neck. Everything has been on the right side to date so maybe......what is it? I will listen to my gut and let Dr. W tell me it's nothing rather than assuming that. Because even though I can say "oh, it's nothing," the thinking about it and worrying will drive me crazy.

Also, I discovered yesterday an amaz…

Letter to Dr. W

The latest and greatest (?) on the beast that is thyroid cancer, best expressed via the letter I sent to my new endocrinologist/thyroid cancer specialist:

Changing the Focus

I will turn 50 this month. In honor of this milestone -- and just because I want to -- I am changing the focus of my blog.

10 years ago at the age of 40, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer -- papillary carcinoma. I started this blog after my first surgery as a means to communicate. I had lost my voice for about three weeks, and speaking was a challenge. Many well-meaning folks called in the days after my surgery to check on me. While it was fine that Chris and my mom provided updates, I missed being in contact with people. So I started writing.
Along the way, I learned that I liked to write and also found other cancer patients and survivors along the way. I needed an outlet, and, unexpectedly, my blog provided some perspective for those newly diagnosed as well as those of us who must endure the various follow-up visits and the anxiety that accompanies them.
My last cancer blog post was three years ago. Believe me, the anxiety is still there, but after two recurrences, I've had no…