Skip to main content

I'm free!

I'm out of hospital isolation after radioactive iodine treatment. How did it work? Like this: I took my bags and bags of magazines and reading material (it was crazy, people...thanks to all who contributed!) to my room, got settled. Then I went down to the Nuclear Medicine Dept. to talk to the radiologist about what was going to happen. We did this the Friday before as well, but she needed to do it officially again. I had a few questions so we went over those then back to the room.

A few hours (yes, hours...took too long) later, a Nuclear Medicine technician brought the dose of radioactive iodine to me in my room in this nifty little protective container along with a radioactivity reading machine. I took the dose, it was a capsule like any other pill, being careful not to touch it with my fingers and washed it down with some water. And that was it!

Funny thing...the tech took the radioactivity reading machine and within three minutes had a reading on me (that's how fast it worked) right in front of me, then at three feet, then at the door. She wrote down some numbers, said someone would be back the next day to get readings at these distances again and then left me in my isolation. From that point on, people would call from the door things like...."Your food is here!" or "Do you need anything?" but other than that, I was on my own. I didn't mind it too bad other than missing the family. I feel very fortunate not to have had any side effects from it as others I have read about and talked to have. The tech came back and when my level was deemed no longer harmful to others, I was released.

However, that's the tricky part. I'm OK to leave the hospital but have some fairly confining restrictions for at least five days in terms of radioactivity exposure to others. With a pre-teen and teenager at the house, many suggested a week past hospital discharge in a self-imposed isolation so I'm in a hotel room until tomorrow afternoon then am switching to the basement for a few more days. We have a separate bedroom and bathroom in the basement plus my desk so I'm going to do that through Tuesday, at least that's the plan. The key is time and distance. The farther out from the actual dose in terms of days, the less radioactivity. The more distance I can put between myself and others, the better.

Luckily, I was fine and haven't experienced any side effects. Except I'm still pretty tired, but I have started on my first doses of Levoxyl, the thyroid replacement medication I will be on the rest of my life. As I understand, it will take a few weeks to kick in, but to start that is a big step forward in regaining my energy.

And some of the best news....back to regular food, not the low-iodine business! I should take bets on this next question, if I did that sort of thing, but would lose money as most of you know the answer:

What was the first thing I had to eat outside of the hospital when I could eat normal food? Anyone?

Yes, most of you got this bean burrito with no onions from Taco Bell. :) This has been my favorite since I was, oh, 15 years old.

And, oh yes, here's the best news. I'm now a cancer survivor!


  1. Awesome update, Charlcie! All the best, and welcome back to the land of Taco Bell.

  2. No way--I also love a bean burrito and take it (preferrably) without onions! We must be related somewhere...
    Glad you are done--I don't konw 72 hours to sit around and read magazines doesn't sound half bad...but then again I am really lazy :) Glad you are out and feeling good.

  3. I loves me some Taco Hell. I mean Bell.

    Welcome back to the outside world!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Doctor...and 10 Things I Hate About Thyroid Cancer

OK, look at the last time I added a blog post....yes, January. Ridiculous. It's been too long since I've written, and I apologize for that. Time marches on, for the good or bad, and it has slipped away from me.

One item on my thyroid cancer timeline I see not documented in my blog: I did get more bloodwork done in April. It was good news: no change in the thyroglobulin. Just gotta keep on top of it and make sure that it doesn't get above 2.0.

I'm going to see Dr. W on Friday to check in, let him tell me it's time to get it and the TSH checked again. And...OK, here's the thing: I feel something/am having strange twinges on the left side of my neck. Everything has been on the right side to date so maybe......what is it? I will listen to my gut and let Dr. W tell me it's nothing rather than assuming that. Because even though I can say "oh, it's nothing," the thinking about it and worrying will drive me crazy.

Also, I discovered yesterday an amaz…

Letter to Dr. W

The latest and greatest (?) on the beast that is thyroid cancer, best expressed via the letter I sent to my new endocrinologist/thyroid cancer specialist:

Changing the Focus

I will turn 50 this month. In honor of this milestone -- and just because I want to -- I am changing the focus of my blog.

10 years ago at the age of 40, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer -- papillary carcinoma. I started this blog after my first surgery as a means to communicate. I had lost my voice for about three weeks, and speaking was a challenge. Many well-meaning folks called in the days after my surgery to check on me. While it was fine that Chris and my mom provided updates, I missed being in contact with people. So I started writing.
Along the way, I learned that I liked to write and also found other cancer patients and survivors along the way. I needed an outlet, and, unexpectedly, my blog provided some perspective for those newly diagnosed as well as those of us who must endure the various follow-up visits and the anxiety that accompanies them.
My last cancer blog post was three years ago. Believe me, the anxiety is still there, but after two recurrences, I've had no…